So you just created a brand new VPN connection to let’s say work, and Windows decided that it is a completely untrusted network connection, setting it to a public network. Here is how you can quickly and immediately change the network type using powershell.
- Start an elevated powershell prompt
- Use the following command to list the known networks:
- This will net you something like below. Note that the VPN in this example is named “IPSEC”, and that the type is Public, which we want to change
PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-NetConnectionProfile Name : IPSEC InterfaceAlias : IPSEC InterfaceIndex : 24 NetworkCategory : Public IPv4Connectivity : LocalNetwork IPv6Connectivity : NoTraffic Name : corp.nhcoding.nl InterfaceAlias : Ethernet InterfaceIndex : 6 NetworkCategory : DomainAuthenticated IPv4Connectivity : Internet IPv6Connectivity : NoTraffic PS C:\Windows\system32>
- Next, we can issue our change comment:
Set-NetConnectionProfile -Name IPSEC -NetworkCategory Private
- Note that the change is immediate, no need to reconnect or restart anything